A watch is not just a timepiece, but an accessory that complements your style and personality. However, owning a watch also comes with the responsibility of maintaining it. Proper maintenance and care are essential to keep your watch running accurately and looking great. Here are some tips to help you take care of your watch.
1. Regularly clean your watch: Watches can accumulate dust, dirt, and sweat over time, which can make them look dirty and cause them to malfunction. To keep your watch looking great and running accurately, you should clean it regularly. Use a soft cloth or a microfiber cloth to wipe down your watch, taking care to avoid the crystal or any delicate parts. You can also use a soft-bristled toothbrush to clean the band or bracelet of your watch. In Blacktiewatchco, we made sure that a microfiber cleaning cloth for every purchase of our timepiece so that you’ll have the best cleaning product for your watch in order to preserve its functionality and its pristine condition.
2. Keep your watch away from magnets: Watches are sensitive to magnetic fields, which can affect their accuracy. Keep your watch away from magnets, such as speakers or electronic devices. If you're not sure whether an object is magnetic or not, it's better to err on the side of caution and keep your watch away from it.
3. Avoid exposing your watch to extreme temperatures: Extreme temperatures, whether hot or cold, can affect the accuracy of your watch. If you're going to be in a hot or cold environment, consider taking off your watch and storing it somewhere safe. Extreme temperatures can also cause the watch's materials to deteriorate, which can lead to cracks or other damage.
4. Just like our Spyder watch in Blacktiewatchco. It is our best-selling automatic watch that has a skeleton built in which you can see its automatic movement mechanism in the clock face itself. It will be best to wind your watch regularly: If you have an automatic or mechanical watch, you'll need to wind it regularly to keep it running accurately. Follow the instructions that came with your watch to wind it properly. Overwinding your watch can damage the movement, so be careful not to overwind it.
5. Have your watch serviced regularly: Even if your watch is running perfectly, it's a good idea to have it serviced by a professional every few years. A professional can clean and lubricate the delicate parts of your watch, which will help it run more smoothly and accurately. If your watch is not running accurately or is making unusual noises, take it to a professional watchmaker for a check-up.
6. Store your watch properly: When you're not wearing your watch, store it in a safe place, such as a watch box or a drawer. Keep it away from direct sunlight and humidity, which can cause the watch's materials to deteriorate. If you're going to store your watch for an extended period, consider winding it a few times to keep the movement lubricated.
7. Avoid exposing your watch to chemicals: Chemicals, such as perfumes and cleaning products, can damage the finish on your watch or cause the materials to deteriorate. To avoid this, take off your watch when you're applying perfumes or cleaning products. If your watch comes into contact with any chemicals, wipe it down with a soft cloth immediately.
8. Check the water resistance of your watch: If your watch is water-resistant, make sure to check its water resistance regularly. Water resistance can degrade over time, especially if the watch has been bumped or dropped. To test the water resistance of your watch, take it to a professional watchmaker or jeweler. Blacktiewatchco timpieces has a water resistance ranging from 3 ATM (Up to 100 Feet) to 5 ATM (Up to 160 Feet). 3 ATM can withstand accidental splashes. You can also keep it during shower but we recommend you do so only if the watch is new or has been recently resealed. This is because the watch water resistance seal may degrade over time, especially if it takes a knock. 5 ATM means that they are water resistant to up to 160 Ft in depth for 10 minutes. They are now suitable for low-velocity and shallow-water activities, including swimming. You can enjoy more freedom to explore, stay connected, and capture the adventure.
In conclusion, owning a watch is a significant investment, and proper maintenance and care are essential to keep it running accurately and looking great. Regular cleaning, keeping it away from magnets, avoiding extreme temperatures, winding it regularly, having it serviced by a professional, storing it properly, avoiding chemicals, and checking the water resistance are some tips that can help you maintain your watch's longevity. By following these tips, you can enjoy your watch for years to come.